Sunday, April 13, 2008

Squirrel Season

So maybe most of you know this story already, if so I thought I would share again. It is squirrel season at our house. For about three months now I could hear moving in our attic, so I called the professionals to come out and take care of the problem. They came out and put a cage but could catch nothing. They kept telling me I didn't have squirrels in the attic but it was rats instead so they put that bait out. After a month of not taking care of the problem we decided to take care of it ourselves.

We bought to cages to catch the little guys and put them up there with some tasty peanut butter crackers but also had no luck. So Jimmy purchased a gun with some game bullets (full of BB's) and the hunt began. He managed to shoot one, and kill it. Thinking there was only one we left the attic cover off that night so he would remember to get it that next morning in daylight. About 7 am we were all three in the living room when we heard a loud crash in the kitchen. I picked JT up and ran to the bedroom while Jimmy chased this squirrel around the house in his PJ's. He managed to shoot it (in the sunroom) and it crawled up in my tredmil where the motor was.

Jimmy thought the squirrel was dead b/c he had done all that he could to stir the squirrel out and it never moved. Well, squirrels can be very still little creatures. Jimmy wasn't ready for the squirrel to jump out and go running across the backyard. Not sure if you can see him or not. I took this picture just in time b/c a hurt squirrel can move pretty fast. Jimmy is running around our backyard chasing this squirrel with a gun in his PJ's. He tried getting into our neighbor's backyard but they had their gate locked. This all happened on Wed morning and on Thursday afternoon JT and I were getting ready to go somewhere and I was getting laundry out of the garage when I saw something move. Thinking it was a mouse I ran back inside and then I could hear the little guy run up the wall and into the attic. Thinking it was clear I went back out there (to get the socks out of the dryer) and saw the little guy looking at me from the attic hole. Then I saw another move towards the back of the garage. I thought to myself, I better take care of this or its going to ruin everything in my garage. I took it upon myself to take him out. I called Jimmy to tell him I had killed it (shooting it 6 times) and he came home to check it out. He is so proud of me. We still have one left to go and it is just a matter of time.

We had JT's one year pictures made last week. He was a grump almost the entire time. He enjoyed playing in the dirt though, but just couldn't get him to smile. As soon as we started walking to the car he began laughing and carrying on.

JT doesn't know what to think about all this craziness. Until next time...

1 comment:

The Van Oostrums said...

Amy,
I couldn't stop laughing while I read your squirrel blog post. SO FUNNY. I hope you catch all of those little guys. Good luck and thanks for the entertainment.
Molly